Friday, April 9, 2010

It's scary being a parent

Remember This?:
Three weeks ago Sadie got sick and ended up in the hospital with RSV bronchiolitis. This past Sunday, less than two weeks later, I could tell she was sick again. By Monday I knew it was not good. Sadie had a 103.2* temperature and was coughing bad. She was also breathing fast, but I had a previously scheduled 9 month appointment on Tuesday so decided I'd have the doctor check her out then. We came home with this:

An inhaler and plastic spacer for her breathing isssues (wheezing), cream for her exzema, and cream for a diaper rash turned yeast infection. They checked her oxygen level while we were there and said she was doing fine and also checked her ear (she had an ear infection with the RSV) and said that was fine as well. Wednesday I felt like she was getting worse. By Thursday her breathing was so fast I thought I must be counting wrong. I decided I'd better take her in again. We came home with this:

Her oxygen was REALLY low this time. A lot lower than with the RSV so they immediately got her on oxygen. They also found that her ear infection was back so we came home with more antibiotics for that. Not to mention we did an X-Ray which was the most horrible part of the whole experience. The contraption they use for infants literally looks like a torture device!! (If you want to see it go HERE...I laughed when I saw this picture because the kid looks like he's enjoying it but believe me when I say that for a nine month old it was torture!)

We had a follow up appointment today and came home still on oxygen AND with a diagnosis of Pnemonia.

Needless to say the last month has been very hard on Sadie and myself. Hopefully this is the last of it. They gave her some very strong antibiodics that will hopefully take care of the Pnemonia and ear infection at the same time. Please keep her in your prayers! She needs them!






9 comments:

Steph said...

Oh Jenn, I'm so so sorry! Nothing is worse than watching you child suffer. That's horrible. Let us know if you need anything...I'll keep Sadie in our prayers.

Ashlee said...

POOR SADIE!!! I laughed hard at the chest x-ray thing. We had RSV since we left you branding cows last week. But since my kids are older, it was ONLY six days for Samantha with a fever and a bad dry cough, then five more days of a fever, dry cough and another terrible symptom I wont explain for Ben. I now have a slight head cold after everyone coughin on me. I was worried about my children, I can see how this would be VERY serious in a child younger. So sorry! I am ready for spring! How about you????? lol

Ria said...

I'm so sorry. What an ordeal! Hope Sadie recovers quickly. Xrays are no fun. I remember Brooke needed one at about 6 months old. They took her from me and left me waiting. Suddenly i could just hear her crying and felt so helpless. She didn't have the contraption Sadie had though. Nurses said they needed her to fill up her chest to do the x ray so they made her cry. Sad...

Kory Jane said...

Having a baby who gets sick with breathing issues all the time sucks. I know that x-ray device well and I also thought it looked like torture. But hopefully as she gets older she will grow out of some of it. Lexie was sick all the time and now she never gets sick. Hang in there summer is almost here. Hope she recovers quickly.

Sally said...

You guys have had such a rough month! Maybe with the weather warming up things will get better. Just keep thinking about the pool!

Lorie said...

Poor girl. We will keep her in our prayers. What a trooper with the oxygen, inhaler, and 20 kinds of medicine. I'll send healthy vibes your way! :)

Dee dee said...

Since we talked on the phone I will just comment on Easter. I love the pictures! Looks like Ava had a great time too!

Aaron and Meg said...

Wow, that sounds like a horrible month for both of you! I hope things start getting better soon. We'll be thinking about you.

Natalie said...

Poor Sadie! And poor you too. I'm so sorry to hear that she's so sick. We'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers.