Thursday, October 6, 2011

Upper Cow Camp & A Belly Shot

For a few months out of every year our "Rider" lives in a one room cabin (no electricity, no plumbing) at a place we call Upper Cow Camp and her (yes it's a her!) job is to sort keep her eyes on our cows, if you will, while they are in the mountains each summer. 
Last week we had a "neighborhood" picnic at upper cow camp. The men folk (and a few tough cowgirls) went to work chopping down tree's and fixing fences while the women (the less tough ones) sat around gossiping talking and preparing lunch. It was a lot of fun and totally worth the long drive and the 8 mile stretch of the WORST dirt road you can possibly imagine. And fortunately with all the falling down trees no one was injured. (I've got a great video but my internet just isn't good enough to download it here for you.)
 Here's Chris hooking up rope to one of the tree's they are taking down. It's the only picture I got of the men working. And as a side note, they only took down dead trees and then cut them up to make posts to fix the fences.
 I did get plenty of pictures of the kids playing so here are just a few. The above picture is of Claire (2nd cousin), Sadie, and Ava. Ava even "babysat" Claire while we helped pick up fallen branches and sticks.
 And of course Sadie managed to steal Claire's horse toy within a matter of minutes and didn't let it go the entire day.
 I LOVE this picture! Left to right it's Sadie, Wyatt, Ava, and Paul. (Also 2nd cousins).
 And I don't know why Sadie gets all the attention but I had to put a picture of her riding the horse. She was so excited when they showed up and was really disappointed when she only got to ride for a minute before the riders left to go fix fence.
And in case you were wondering I am starting to show. It's smaller than I expected to be at 16 weeks but then again when you throw up for 2 months what can you expect? Each day is getting better and I'm feeling more like myself. I'm sure the belly will really pop soon.

And for the few who care, more pictures of the house to come soon. It's too rainy and cold today to take pictures.

5 comments:

Lorie said...

Hey! I remember going to cow camp when i was little and still remember that rough road. It is such a pretty place when you finally get there. Cute, cute kids! You forgot to mention the cow camp lady occasionally hides behind the sage brush to "pump" for her baby back in town. :) Crazy!

Sally said...

I love the picture of Sadie with the toy horse. Looks like she plans on keeping it!

Unknown said...

Yay you're showing!

Unknown said...

I like that you explained that they only took the dead trees and then recycled the dead trees.... that Oregonian is still alive in you! I heart you.

Dee dee said...

Cute belly! Looks like my kind of day!