Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Dinner Blunder

I was so excited for this Valentine's Day. I wanted to make Chris a really special dinner so I let him choose what he wanted. He requested shrimp. I've never made shrimp before but I thought this would be a good time to try it out. I decided on Coconut Shrimp because it's the only kind of shrimp I can actually eat. Then I decided I would try to make a few other first time items. I decided on Broccoli Cheese Soup and Seasoned Rice. We also had fresh veggies (the one thing I was confident I could make!) ANYWAY......I will never again try three new things at once. My rice turned into just plain old regular rice. My shrimp tasted okay, but not great and looked nothing like the picture! The only thing I was semi proud of was my soup. So I've decided to share the recipe.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/2 (10 oz) pkg frozen broccoli
1 1/4 C. milk
1 1/4 C. cubed processed cheese (Velveeta)
2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. flour
1/2 C. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. (or 1/2 cube) chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
chopped onion (this is optional. I added it in myself so I don't have an exact amount, but probably a tbsp or two depending on your taste)

Place broccoli in saucepan with just enough water to cover it. Cook until tender. Set aside. Do not drain water.

In large saucepan, heat milk. Blend in flour and cheese until smooth. Stir in cream, bouillon, and onion. Add broccoli and it's water. Season with salt and pepper. Heat soup to desired temperature and serve.

Serves: 4

My only other suggestion is be careful with added to broccoli water. Mine was a little too runny for my taste so I shouldn't have added it all like the recipe says. I also let it sit on low for about ten minutes before serving and that helped it thicken up.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Sorry about your dinner. Hopefully it made for a good memory.

Lorie said...

I have all the stuff... I think I'll make that recipe tonight. Thanks! You and your rice, Jenn... (rememer San Diego?) you are just too hard on yourself. I'll bet if we asked Chris, we would get a whole different story about your fabulous meal. If it didn't involve seafood, I'm sure I would love it.

Lorie said...

Jenn, I just made the soup... it's actually simmering in the crock pot. I snuck a taste and it really is delicious!!! I love that you post your good recipes. I added those new potatoes (since we have a bunch), leftover ham, carrots, and a green pepper, just becuase they were about to go bad and it's a thick, hearty, delicious soup. I give it an A+ & highly recommend it to other bloggers.

Dee dee said...

I made a new dessert for the boys choir fund raiser. That was pretty scary, but it turned out and was loved! That was a rarity for me.