Sometimes I think how fun it would have been to be a housewife from the 50's or 60's. You know, like "Leave it to Beaver" type stuff. Then again.....
I'm reading this book called "The Art of Homemaking" which was published in 1967. It belongs to my mother-in-law. While in town this weekend my sister-in-law found it, started skimming through it, and found some very entertaining stuff.
I brought the book home as entertainment but it really does have some good stuff. I find that sometimes its hard for me to appreciate my job as a homemaker. I love being home with Ava and soon to be #2, but cleaning and cooking and all that goes with it can sometimes be exhausting. This book really does have some good pointers and advice, BUT, there are a few funny quotations I'd like to share for those of you who are real modern women (Sally). I think you'll enjoy this.
On Appearance
"Not only is your attitude of great importance, but your appearance also plays a vital role in a happy home. One of the most common complaints unhappy husbands have is that their wives have neglected their appearance and slop around the house with uncombed hair and in runover slippers which look like two dead rabbits....
"Each morning get up and get completely dressed....
"Getting dressed means putting on something that is comfortable, combing your hair, applying some make-up, and putting on shoes....
"And remember, as far as make-up is concerned: EVEN A BARN LOOKS BETTER PAINTED."
"Beauty is a duty"
On Husbands
"An ambitious, hard-working husband who is doing his part well to provide for his family shouldn't have to come home after a hard day's work and help his wife with her work....
"A wife, if she is reasonable, doesn't expect a great deal of help from her husband."
Well maybe I don't want to be a "Leave it to Beaver" kind of wife after all.
4 comments:
Uh, I don't think I would have made the cut back then. Beauty is a luxury I don't have most days and my husband does the dishes. That is a funny book!
Jenn, this is so funny! Keep that out of the hands of husbands...Burgess is a better homemaker than I am most days...I can't imagine doing it all with out him, but then again I'm kind of new to this.
Oh I love it. I need a reminder to put my make up on, really, I do. I think that is good advice. I think today being a homemaker is looked down upon and these women did it with a goal to make their home, a happy, comfortable, clean place to live. I know I am happy when my house is clean, my husband happy, and my children are wearing clean cloths! lol
I started out thinking the quotes were cute, until I read the last one. EXCUSE ME? He helped to make these kids and he will definately help me take care of them when he is home. Making kids just shouldn't be fun for the men....;)
Post a Comment