Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Any Ideas?

Ava has recently learned how to climb the stairs....and she loves it! Though Ava can crawl she prefers to walk but she can only walk with help, so that means I'm with her all the time. Eventually when she learns to walk on her own, I have a feeling she'll go for the stairs.

How do you solve this problem? Well of course you put up a gate. Unfortunately you have to brace a gate against something, and as you can see below in the picture, I don't have anything to brace a gate against. Any suggestions on how to block off the stairs would be extremely helpful.




Wall on the left side, but the right side has nothing. In fact they are quite dangerous because their is no railing all the way up the stairs. The brown railing shown is about the same height as the stairs all the way to the top. Please Help!


7 comments:

Keith said...

Floor to ceiling chain link fence with a gate. You are kind of going for the redneck theme...

Sally said...

Although Keith's idea does sound nice...for a quick fix try turning a couple of laundry baskets upside down and putting them infront of the first step. It may take her a while to figure out how to climb over those. Although she is pretty mobile.

Lorie said...

I like Keith's solution. It does fit the "weights on the porch" theme you have going. ha, ha!

I never really messed with a gate. They usually fell a few times but after that, they figure out how to do it. You should probably listen to Sally.

Meghan said...

You could put a couple of chairs or big pillows in front of the first step... although if Ava is anything like Caleb, she'll figure out how to crawl under or over them. Hmm... I'll keep thinking.

Meghan said...

My mom had an idea... you could have Chris build a board with legs on it that you lay down and when Ava pushes on it, it wouldn't go anywhere cuz it'd be pushed up against the wall and the front board would be tall enough that Ava couldn't get over.

Does that even make sense? It does in my head. Lol.

Dee dee said...

I'm with Lorie. I never stopped you kids from climbing the stairs, you needed to learn. I showed you a few times how to go down backwards and that was it. The biggest problem you have is NO RAILING! OSHA would have a hay day with your builder! You need to get a railing on. Are your stairs a standard 2nd story height with no railing the entire way? I think Grandpa needs to come visit.

Sally said...

I think Jenn's intention with this post all a long was to have Grandpa come visit! Very sneaky. And no, I have not been practicing in the mirror. That one picture was just lucky.